Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Time to Change the Living Room

Last weekend I decided to paint the living room. I took off from work early on Friday and picked up all the essentials - paint, brushes, drop clothes. And on a whim -- a Wagner automatic paint roller. Perhaps, I thought, I would be able to entice my "I don't do paint" husband to help with the job. After all - what real guy can resist a gizmo (even if it is paint related).

The initial reaction from Brad was as expected -- "I doubt seriously that thing will work" -- "It will probably be a big mess" -- "Undoubtedly a piece of junk" -- and of course - "That thing is going to be hell to clean!" In response to all comments I simply nodded affirmatively and kept my mouth shut... biding my time. The hook had been baited -- just had to reel him in.

By Friday night, he had read the entire instruction manual. By Saturday morning, he had unpacked the gizmo. By Saturday afternoon, he offered to "set it up" for me. A few minutes later -- he was busily rolling paint onto the living room walls -- and refusing to relinquish the gizmo to me.

I never rolled on a single drop of paint... not one. The "I don't paint" husband was painting. And not because of my feminine wiles or an altruistic desire to help -- but because the gizmo was so irresistable.

By Sunday evening all the furniture was moved back into place, the art rehung and we enjoyed a glass of wine in our new and improved living room. Of course, Brad said that he really didn't see why we need to change the color in the first place. But he did like that power roller...

No comments:

Post a Comment