Saturday, August 29, 2009

Painting

Since this blog is about our adventures, and since most of those adventures seem to revolve around remodeling projects, and since today involved that very type of adventure, in the form of painting, it only seems appropriate to talk about painting. First, I hate it. Second, Lisa (though she says he hates it) loves it. Or at least she likes it a lot. And she enjoys it even more if I can be bribed into participating. Unfortunately, the favored bribe in this house is good wine (or, truthfully, just about any kind of wine), and good wine and a steady hand for painting don't really work together, so she is usually forced to assign other tasks to me while she paints. Today, however, she reached for my jugular and got a new tool - a power roller.

As much as I hate painting, I hate using a roller even more - they splatter, the roller pans are crap, and generally I end up with paint everywhere BUT the wall. However, the thought of Lisa struggling with a power roller was too much for me, and besides: it looked like it might be cool. So, away I went. And away the painting went - three HUGE walls in about 20 minutes. Totally awesome. Of course, the next 90 minutes was devoted to cleaning the power roller, but THAT I could do with a glass of wine nearby.

So, maybe painting is not so bad after all.

As for basing this in reality and context: After having completely remodeled Harry's bedroom and bathroom this summer - while he was at camp - we were fresh out of projects. We started to get bids for redoing the master bath, but they were all out of reach, so that left us empty handed. An idle mind being the devil's workshop, Lisa's idle mind concocted the idea to repaint the living room. "Why" is beyond me. But once that sort of idea sets in, there is no stopping it. So, today the project began. What was slated to take a week, however, will be finished tomorrow. Thanks to the power roller.

Congratulations to technology indeed.

And thus starts this blog, our story of our almost-100-year old house in Houston Texas, and whatever else comes to mind.

Brad and Lisa.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Dad you must REALLY like wine. This almost gives me the to urge to blog agin lol. .....Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are going to post before and after shots. I'd like to see the new color! I'm pretty sure that can be done with wine in tow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a power-roller is like a jack-hammer: Once you've got it, it's so much fun that you'll start looking for excuses to use it.

    ReplyDelete